Jun 4, 2010

Authors@Google: Peter Reinhart

I have to apologize for not updating in f-o-r-e-v-e-r! School and constant illness has gotten to me, and it wasn't fun. Just as a side not, I'm pulling A's! It's taken everything and more to keep focused, so the first thing to go was baking. It's summer now and I'm through being sick, so I'm back to baking and blogging. Although I'm not baking today, I want to show you guys a great lecture that Peter Reinhart did at the Google headquarters.

First before you watch it, I just want to tell you guys about Peter Reinhart and what he means to me. As an amateur baker I didn't know diddlysquat! I had no one to turn to to learn and discuss bread, really baking in general! I taught myself some tricks and techniques from simple recipes, but I wanted more. I did know about Peter and his many accomplishments and I always wanted his book, The Bread Baker's Apprentice. I waited practically forever for it until one Christmas. At that time my dad's hours were cut back extremely, so getting everything I wanted was picture. I didn't get a whole lot, but my prized possession was The Bread Baker's Apprentice. I really consider it a holy scripture (in a non sacrilegious way) because it has everything a baker needs to know and more to make artisan bread that is fit for the baking gods. That book really revolutionized the way I bake and it has formed my style of baking. Really, what makes the book and Mr. Reinhart so great is how they bridge together the world between amateurs and masters. I hope you will learn from Mr. Reinhart the way I have!





http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BK5mC_SkIPI

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be kind and respectful with your comment(s)! We're all here to learn and have fun, so let's keep this blog clean!